I have the homesick blues recently because of the cold weather and gloomy gray of Santiago. I thought it would be fun to describe the things I miss from my pre-expat lifestyle.
Some things I miss most about the United States include:
- Powerbars and Lunabars. These are so great for on the go.
- Dependable customer service.
- Drip coffee. (Starbucks does make it here, but I like to support smaller cafes or make my own.)
- Smoothies. There are a few smoothie shops named Boost, but they are far away from the city center.
- American-style yogurt (like Stonyfield brand).
- Seitan and other vegetarian friendly food products.
- Sunday brunch.
- Shopping at Target.
- Edensoy original soy milk.
- Spicy Mexican food.
- A firm handshake hello.
- Being closer to my family and friends, of course.
I’ve made due without a lot of them. For instance, E. and I started making peanut butter to get a PB&J fix. Without some of the processed food fallbacks we were using before the move, I’ve actually learned how to cook better by using whole foods like beans in place of soy meat.
Also, I have been fine without these things for a year and a half. It’s not a tragedy that I live without them.
Are there any customs or foods that you would miss if you left your country for an extended period?
If you are an expat, what do you miss about your native country right now?