Photo Credit: Gerrysan
Have a week to spend in Buenos Aires? Here are my top ten things to do here.
- Enjoy cafe con leche with a medialuna outside a cafe and people watch.
- Walk alongside Puerto Madero.
- Watch tango at a milonga such as Confiteria Ideal. (Request a table in the back to respect the dancers.)
- Go downtown: Visit the Plaza San Martin, Obelisk, Plaza de Mayo, and the Casa Rosada. This is a perfect walking day.
- See Evita’s grave and beautiful mausoleums at Recoleta Cemetary.
- Visit la Boca neighborhood. (Stick to the main tourist streets.)
- Peruse the San Telmo Street Fair on a Sunday morning.
- Take a colectivo to Feria de Mataderos on a Sunday afternoon.
- Visit the cats in Parque Carlos Thays near the Jardin Zoologico.
- Shop at the boutiques in Palermo Viejo and stop by Plaza Serrano on a weekend.
If you have time to leave Buenos Aires for a day during your visit, take the Buquebus to Colonia, Uruguay, or day trip to the town of Tigre using a commuter train from Retiro. Both trips are an hour away and worth the time.